Thursday, January 16, 2014

Slow Cook Taco Soup






The original recipe can be found here.  There were all sorts of good ideas about in the comments about how to change the recipe, including an idea to saute the onions first.  However, this has become my "I have no time, but I want delicious hot food" recipe, which means I usually go for the simple route. Consequently I usually keep the ingredients for this soup on hand at all times. Below you will find my version.

Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef - I have a freezer full of ground beef in 1lb packages.  So for this recipe I just pull out the ground beef as is (aka still frozen) and toss it in the crock pot and let it cook through before I break it up a little while before serving.

1 onion, chopped - I like to use the sweet onions, and use a medium/large sized onion for this.

16oz can chili beans - For the beans you could probably use just about any bean. I get pinto and kidney beans, but they don't have to be the seasoned chile beans.

15oz can kidney beans

8oz can tomato sauce

4oz can diced green chile peppers

29 oz diced tomatoes - I forget these often enough that I would list these as optional. :o)  Also, in the summer I prefer to use fresh tomatoes rather than canned ones.

~3½ cups water - If you are at home, you can measure this.  I cook this away from home enough so now I just use one of the cans and add about two can-fulls of water. 

1 pkg taco seasoning

Cheese (optional)

Chips (optional)

I leave the corn that the original recipe calls for out usually, because of friend's food allergies, but the corn is yummy.  I also usually add a green bell pepper, just chopped up and thrown in. 

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low for ~8 hours. If desired top with cheese and serve with chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment