Monday, May 4, 2015

Cabbage and Sausage Soup

Recipe as it is written: 
4 Cups Chicken Broth
1 large onion, chopped
1.5 lb smoked sausage
1 small head of green cabbage
8-10 medium potatoes
4 medium carrots, sliced
4 large celery stalks, sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Combine ingredients in pot. Simmer until done.

My Notes:

This recipe is very forgiving and I do not bother measuring these quantities.
Usually I end up adding an extra cup of broth because I like the broth. I do add an entire onion, but usually add less than a pound of the sausage (~12oz or less).
I add 1/2-1 head of cabbage depending on the size of the head. usually I keep larger potatoes on hand, so I only add 4 or so. I prefer more cabbage and less potatoes.
I use baby carrots, so I add a bunch, until I think there are enough carrots.
Salt and pepper are added at the very end, right before serving. The sausage will add a good bit of salt, so I don't add much.

Basically, I toss these ingredients into the pot until it seems like enough, then heat to a boil, and turn down to a med-low heat until the potatoes and carrots are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment